What is Dandruff ?
Dandruff is a type of scalp irritation and is very common. It is called seborrheic dermatitis medically. It refer to the state of the skin in which shiny, silver scales tear off from the scalp and gather amidst the hair.
Dandruff is caused by micro-organism called pityrosporum-ovle which are present in scalp. Dandruff may be extended to eyebrows, central face, external ear, chest, upper back, belly, and genital areas.
Dandruff conditions may become more severe by producing bright red, inflamed scaling patches on the face and chest that may spread under the arms area. The main causes of dandruff are the development of a toxic condition that could be due to taking the wrong types of food, low body resistance to infections and constipation. The most common dandruff symptoms include white, oily flakes of dead skin in the hair and on the shoulders, as well as an itchy, scaling scalp.
Most common causes of dandruff
- Dandruff may be caused by a fungus called Seborrheic Dermatitis, that thrives on the human skin and feeds on oils found in the skin.
- Another main cause of the dandruff is Psoriasis. It causes the skin to become so dry it leads to thick scales.
- Dryness of skin and using dryers to dry the hair is another serious cause of dandruff which can be aggravated by the over use of hair dryers.
- Dryness in the climates and winter conditions may cause dryness of the skin causing a dry scalp and dandruff.
- Over activity of oil glands is a possible cause.
- A high sugar intake may a cause of dandruff. Diabetes patients who have the high sugar levels result in dehydration of the tissues as the body flushes out fluids in an attempt to rid itself of the sugar. It resulted dry skin.
- Using hot water during shampooing may strip out the natural oils and dry out the scalp causing dandruff.
- People who are avoiding fat diets may be deficient in unsaturated fats OR essential fats, such as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids may become another cause of dandruff.
- Other causes of dandruff include stress, poor scalp hygiene, sharing a brush belonging to a dandruff sufferer or even not using proper shampoo or conditioner according to the nature of scalp.
Remedies for Dandruff
- Apply a Combination of olive oil and ginger root to your scalp before shampooing. It will give better result if you put the mixture on the scalp for 10-15 minutes before shampooing.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water equally. Apply to the scalp and let it dry. Wash with a good shampoo after drying it.
- Apply a thick gel of Aloe Vera leaves into the scalp and leave for overnight. Shampoo in the morning.
- Coconut oil is the best natural cure for dandruff. Coconut eliminate dandruff and dryness of the scalp. Massage warm coconut oil into the scalp, leave it on for about 4 hours. It help normalize the scalp. Massage coconut oil in your hair daily if you are suffering with heavy dandruff. The dandruff will clear up in a few days.
Massage Coconut Oil to prevent Dandruff
- Mix 8-10 drops of grapefruit seed extract with the normal amount of shampoo you use. Massage into your hair and leave on for at least 2 minutes. Wash thoroughly with water. Avoid contact with eyes, it may cause irritation.
- Make a mixture of olive oil and crushed rosemary leaves and use it into your scalp. Leave on for atleast 15 minutes to get the best results.
- Fenugreek seeds is one of the best remedies for the treatment of dandruff. Soak 2 tablespoons of the fenugreek seeds overnight in water and make a fine paste in the morning by grinding. Apply this paste all over the scalp and left for at least 30 minutes. Wash the hairs thoroughly with soap-nut solution or acacia concinna. This home remedy is very effective for those suffering from dry dandruff.
Use this anti dandruff treatment at least twice a week for alteast two weeks.
- Using a teaspoon of fresh lime juice while washing the hair, especially in the last rinse is another helpful remedy. This will make the hair shining, removes stickiness among the hairs and prevents dandruff conditions.
- Lemon juice is an excellent home remedy for oily dandruff type. Apply a paste made out of lemon juice and fuller’s earth to your scalp once a week. This is the one of the best dandruff home remedies as it deep cleanse your scalp. As the lemon juice help to break down the excessive sebum collected on the scalp while the fuller’s earth will help to cleanse the scalp of the excess dead skin cells.
- Green Gram Powder is a valuable remedy for removal of dandruff. Mix 2 tablespoons of Green Gram Powder with half a cup of curd. Wash your hairs with this mixture twice a week.
- Beets are also useful in dandruff treatment. Boil the tops and roots in water and massage this water into the scalp with the finger tips every night. White beet give the better results.
- If you use dryer to dry your hairs, it may dry out the scalp and cause dandruff. So, keep your hair dryer at least 10 inches away from your scalp.
- Get the benefits of Snake Gourd juice in the prevention and treatment of dandruff. Rub the snake guard juice over the scalp. To increase its effectiveness more, mix it with fresh beet juice. This is a natural dandruff remedy.
- Sun exposure is good for the treatment of dandruff as direct ultraviolet light has an anti-inflammatory effect on scaly skin conditions.
- Taking Garlic Oil or Oregano Oil capsules is very good to prevent a dandruff problem.
By eating things such as eggs, cabbage, and yeast, you get a plenty of Vitamin B6, which is vital to the scalp.
- Treat through a medicated shampoo, if you are suffering from stubborn flakes/ mild dandruff.
- A mixture of coconut oil and lemon juice is very effective in treatment of dandruff.
- Wash your hair in hot water, then again in cold water. It help in circulation throughout the scalp.
- Wash your hair with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the dandruff. It also leaves hair soft and clean.
- Tea Tree Oil is an excellent natural remedy for dandruff and itchy scalp problems. It balance the pH levels and helps the hair follicles and cells to become clean and unclogged of debris.
- Mix Olive Oil and Almond Oil equally. Massage into the scalp. Wash your hair after 5 minutes really help to treat dandruff.
- Neem is a very good natural dandruff cure. Neem is wonderful as a fungicide. It not only benefits dry itchy dandruff, also good for those suffering from psoriasis.
Apply neem leaves paste directly to the affected area to get relief from itchy and red scalp. Neem can relieve dandruff without having to resort to caustic products.
Tips To avoid Dandruff
- Keep your hair and scalp clean. Wash frequently to prevent flakes building up. Brush you hair daily to improve the circulation and remove any flakiness.
- Spicy and greasy food helps dandruff to increase and spread. Must avoid these foods. Fresh and green vegetables and fruits in daily diet are necessary. Must consume a diet containing lots of vitamin A, B6, B12.
- Avoid intake of fried foods, sugar, chocolates and nuts especially when you are suffering with dandruff.
- Using some natural remedies time to time to wash your hairs reduce the chances to getting suffered from dandruff
- Massage the roots of your hairs with Neem oil or other natural oils such as German Chamomile, Eucalyptus, and Lavender oil once a week.
- Avoid Citrus fruits, bananas, dried, stewed, or tinned fruits in that period when you are getting suffer from dandruff.
- Short periods of an all-fruit diet for 3 days or so may be necessary at monthly intervals till the skin’s condition improves.
- Avoid eating Meats, sugar, white flour, strong tea or coffee, condiments, pickles, refined and processed foods to avoid dandruff.
- Avoid using non-natural shampoos and conditioners. These type of shampoo and conditioners may cause the scalp to become irritated which can cause itchiness and dandruff to worsen.